If you tend to ignore your feet, you are not alone. When they keep taking us where we want to go, we feel that we don’t have to pay much attention to those hard-working feet.
But years of neglect can catch up to us! It’s very important to take care of your feet to avoid serious health issues, especially for senior citizens. Give your feet some TLC now so little problems don’t grow into serious ones.
How Your Body Changes Affect Your Feet
As we age, our circulation slows somewhat and that can affect our toenails. The nails may become more brittle and therefore vulnerable to toenail fungus. Drier skin can cause skin cracks in the feet that give bacteria access to our systems.
These changes mean that it’s time to pay more attention to foot care, especially if you have any pre-existing health problems. Remember, foot pain is not normal! Any pain is a warning sign that something is wrong. Even a little skin redness or small bump can be a sign of a problem that should be addressed.
Foot Care Tips Especially for Seniors
First of all, have your feet examined regularly by a qualified foot doctor. Please visit us at Pasco-Hernando Foot & Ankle for a comprehensive foot exam at least once a year. If you have diabetes, come in more often to avoid foot-related complications.
Here are some more tips to keep your feet young and healthy:
- Keep active with your doctor’s permission. An exercise program can improve circulation and help manage your weight.
- Always wear supportive and well-fitting shoes. Choose those with wide toe boxes for extra comfort. Avoid flip flops and other flimsy shoes that may cause you to trip and fall.
- Stay away from over-the-counter products for corns, calluses and fungal nail. Your skin is thinner and more fragile and more susceptible to irritation and burns from these chemicals.
- Keep your feet clean by washing every day and drying thoroughly. Smooth on a rich foot cream to keep the skin supple.
- Trim your toenails straight across to prevent an ingrown toenail. If you find it hard to trim your nails, we’d be happy to do it for you.
- Check your feet every day for any change or sign of injury. Look at the bottoms using a mirror or ask a family member to do it for you. Let us know right away if you notice anything unusual.
Let Us Know If You Notice Any Foot Problems
Dr. Lawrence J. Kales, board certified podiatrist has extensive experience with treating foot problems for any age group, from children to senior citizens. Please come in to Pasco-Hernando Foot & Ankle for an examination – you can request an appointment via the website or call us at our Hudson office at 727 868-2128 or our Spring Hill office at 352 683-5799. Thank your hard-working feet by taking good care of them!