It doesn’t take much to keep your feet happy! Remember, your two feet are the only feet that you’ll ever have – for walking, dancing, chasing your kids around or just putting them up after a long day. So treat them right to keep them healthy and happy with these easy tips:
- Check your feet daily – especially if you have diabetes. Use a mirror to check the soles of your feet and inspect between each toe. You’re looking for anything unusual – a cut, puncture, bruise or toenail problem. For those with diabetes, please contact Pasco-Hernando Foot & Ankle right away if you notice anything out of the ordinary.
- Wash your feet every day in comfortably warm water with soap. Dry carefully especially between the toes.
- Always wear comfortable shoes made of quality materials. Our feet grow as we age so have your feet professionally measured every time you buy new shoes. Give your toes lots of room and wear lower heels for everyday activities. Go for comfort and stability rather than ultra-fashion – your feet will thank you for it!
- Alternate shoes every day to allow them to dry out thoroughly.
- Wear clean socks every day for cushioning and to wick moisture away from your skin. Change your socks if they become sweaty.
- After bathing your feet, apply a rich and soothing foot lotion or cream – but avoid the area between the toes. If your feet are extra dry or have cracked skin, change to a moisturizer with a lanolin base.
- Trim toenails straight across. Rounding the corners may cause ingrown toenails and infection. If you need help cutting your nails please visit us – we’ll be happy to do it for you.
Keep moving! Enjoy some type of aerobic exercise every day – with your doctor’s permission – including swimming, biking, walking and running. Remember to stretch your feet and toes before and after your workout to keep your joints flexible.
Foot Pain Is Not Normal
Don’t just tolerate foot pain. Your foot is telling you that something is wrong and we can help. Some common foot problems include calluses and corns, bunions, fungal nail, heel pain or plantar fasciitis, hammertoes, ingrown toenails and arthritis such as gout. Please let us know if you have any foot pain or notice any skin problems on your feet.
Keep Your Feet Happy and Healthy
Dr. Lawrence J. Kales, board certified podiatrist has the right experience to treat any type of foot or ankle problem and will be happy to meet with for a comprehensive foot exam and evaluation. If you have any foot or ankle pain, please come in to Pasco-Hernando Foot & Ankle for an examination – you can request an appointment via the website or call us at our Hudson office at 727 868-2128 or our Spring Hill office at 352 683-5799. Remember – happy feet will take you where you want to go!